Friday, February 5, 2010

Amber... the story of us


If you see my facebook, then you see me often going back and forth with someone named Amber. If you've ever wondered, "who the heck is that," now is the time when you will find out...


Amber is my "little" cousin who has been taller than me most of my life. I think she was born about 2 feet tall =) We've been through so much together... good times, bad times, and just plain times!! Amber grew up just like one of my sisters- her name started with an "A," so that made her fit in even more. The only problem was that she was blonde and we are all very much brunettes. As an only child she sometimes had some issues with sharing, but I've never been one to listen when someone tells me to "not touch that."


We have so many memories...


Once we narrowly escaped death by foolishly finding an old rope in the barn (probably 100 years old) and tying it through the holes in a cinder block and trying to pull the block up through the loft trap door. Well, about half way up the rope broke and the block fell through the barn floor and there was a huge hole in the floor. Our little "clubhouse" was in that loft. Once we stayed all night there... all of us. Some hideous things happened with some dorito can (yes, Doritos came in a can then). We were terrified and just pretty much huddled together until morning... I don't even know why we did that!!


We were always so inventive. One night we really wanted to play football. Sounds reasonable except that we had no football. Using some heavy duty masking tape, we transformed a roll of toilet paper into the best football one could ever imagine... or so we thought. We invented trampoline tag. The trampoline was the base and you had to be jumping on it to be safe. Lemme just say that it is not easy to run full force at a trampoline and jump on it without bruising your legs up something awful. Especially when you were my heigth. We would play hardware store (what girls play hardware store?). She made me spit sprite all over the kitchen once... because I was laughing so hard.


She was at every birthday party, holiday, and Sunday dinner throughout my whole childhood. We competed in cheesecake photo shoots, California Raisin karaoke, and Easter Egg Hunts. We held seances, told scary stories, mated socks, and watched MAD TV often. We made up dances... Rumpshaker & Baby Got Back. She would make friends with our friends and was always nice to them all. It seems as if we were always mean to hers... I have no idea why!!


There was once an "incident" involving chexmix. It was the scandal of the century. I think she got beat over that one! Well, I'll just admit it: I bamboozled her and Ashley. You see... I convinced them to go hide and eat all the white chex so that Alicia couldn't have any. I then said that I had to go to the bathroom, but instead went and told our moms what they were "up to." They were caught red-handed and Alicia and I enjoyed the "ice" ourselves!! LOL!! Omgosh. They are still mad about that little thing to this day!


When I stayed the night with her I'd read Berenstein books all night long and make fun of her because she thought her doll, Patty, was her little sister. She had a troll collection out of this world. When she stayed the night we'd play games. Once when we played Sorry- we kept sending her back to start. She cried and said, "you always make me be yellow!" We got in trouble, but we've never let her live it down!! I seemed to always do "mean" things... maybe I was a mean kid- I dunno. I made fun of her boyfriends- "Old Cheese." lol She once said "chickmunk" and "cheycain" and she's been teased ever since.


I'd make her call boys for me. I'd make her set me up with boys. I was a little boy crazy!! She was a bridesmaid in my first wedding. Sorry that the best man in hers was a scuzz. We'd spend lots of our summers together- swimming, going to parks, and just having a ball. We were the biggest KNOTB fans alive and we'd parade up and down her street in our gear. We'd make videos of ourselves- The Courtney Pond Show (trying to be like the Ricki Lake show)- My Cousin is a Slut. Bahahahaha. We made her and Shelley dress up in slutty clothes and lots of make-up and Ashley dressed like this little Pentecostal girl. It was so hilarious. Those were the best days ever!!!


Well, I love her just like one of my sisters. I was just as mean to them as I was to her. She's always been one of my best friends. Loyal- to a fault. Follower- to a fault. She is amazing. So smart!! I was just trying to "toughen" her up all those years so that she'd know the joy of having siblings. Anyway, I will always tease her. It's just part of life, but I do love her so much!! I thought I'd let everyone know that we don't really hate each other, but actually are like sisters!!


Love you Remba!!


Love-

Lirpa Nwad

2 comments:

  1. So, you finally admit that you were the criminal behind the whole ChexMix scam! I'm proud of you, April. The first step is admitting you have a problem. =) We did have some good times, didn't we? Maybe our kids will have as much fun together as we did! (I just hope your kids are nicer to mine than you were to me...otherwise you're gonna be on my list!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. bahahahaha. My kids will probably be little hoodlums... you're just going to have to teach yours to "man up!" lol

    We did have some good times & about that whole chexmix thing... I am proud of it. I didn't get beat & I totally pulled the wool over so many for years. Can't help it that I was the believable, lovable one! bahahahaha

    ReplyDelete